As a homebrewer, you need to experiment with various recipes. You never know which one works for you until you try several recipes. Hers a Cascade Smash Recipe;
The All Grain Recipe
This recipe has a 5-gallon batch size, with 75% efficiency. It has a 1.050 original gravity and final gravity of 4.7 liters. An ABV of 5.1%, SRM of 4.7 Liters, and IBU of 41
- Pale Ale Malt- 9 lbs.
- Cascade hops-6% AAU
- Cascade HOPS- 6% AA, 0.5 ounces (3AAU)
- Cascade Hops- 0.5 ounces for 15 minutes
- Cascade Hops- 0.5 ounces for a minute
- Cascade Hops- 0.5 ounces, dried for a week or two
- Irish Moss- 1 tsp.
- Mash until the starch conversion is done. That is approximately one hour at 152 degrees Fahrenheit
- At 170 degrees Fahrenheit, mash it out
- Bring the mash to a boil
- Add your initial hop addition
- Set the timer
- Thirty minutes later, add your second addition
- After fifteen minutes, add your third addition as well as the Irish moss
- Turn of the heat
- Stir in your last hop addition and whirlpool
- Chill it to 68 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add your fermenter
- Pitch in yeast, set the temperature at 68 degrees Fahrenheit, and ferment for between seven and ten days.